I’m going to introduce you to a great abs exercise known as the plank exercise.
So what’s it all about?
It’s a strength training exercise which is all about maintaining a fixed position for an extended period of time. Although this looks easy when you see someone performing it, there’s more to it then what meets the eyes. There are several variations of the exercise, however at the most basic level is the front plank.
Many beginners initially fail at holding this position as it requires control from many body parts all working at the same time. However with practice and commitment this becomes easier to perform and focus then turns to how many seconds or minutes you can hold the position.
Where can it be performed?
The best thing about the plank exercise is that it can be performed literally anywhere. You don’t need any special gym equipment nor do you need to join any health clubs. All you require is yourself, a flat surface and your own body weight, so you should have no excuses to get started.
What are the Health Benefits?
Well, for starters, as it strengthens your stomach and back muscles, known as your core muscles, this will help keep any lower back pain at bay and as a result will also improve your overall posture. In addition to this, as the exercise focuses on holding a fixed position for an extended period of time, this in turn will also build up your endurance levels. Combine this with your core strength and you will find it will help you in any sporting activities you may undertake such as running, cycling or playing rugby for example.
How do I perform this?
Ok, here’s what you need to do:
1. Lie face down on the floor resting on your forearms.
2. Push off the floor and raise up onto your toes while resting on your elbows & forearms.
3. When you can no longer hold this position, return back to the starting position.
Ok, I know what you’re thinking – ‘is that it?’ – It may sound easy, however try it and then tell me what you think. Try and aim for at least 10 seconds initially if can and built up your hold time from there.
Is There An App To Help Me?
YES, it’s called – Plank Exercise App and here’s what it will do :
1. Time based exercises are never easy to do. Using the app will make it easier for you to focus on your form instead of looking at a timer or counting in your head.
2. As with all time based exercises, the longer you hold, the better your workout. The App will track each workout and make it easy for you to perform the plank for longer. .
3. To improve in anything, you need a way to measure your performance. The app will measure your performance for each exercise so you will know if you are under performing or outperforming your personal best.
The app also comes with some intelligent features that will be your true companion when planking. Get the app now! You will wonder how you planked without it!